Originally published January 30, 2013
One of my favorite pastimes growing up was sitting and listening to “grown folks” conversations. My parents, family and their friends had some pretty lively discussions regarding everything from sports, movies, fashion, relationships, and even their wonderful kids (*smile).
But what always stops me in my tracks even now that I’m part of that “grown folks” group are the quotes that are weaved into daily conversations.
I thought I would share some of my favorites that I use on a regular basis or that I hear often.
- This ain’t my first rodeo
- That dog won’t hunt
- Bless her/his/your/my heart*
- You can’t get blood from a turnip
- Nervous as a rooster in a hen house
- Tell the truth and shame the devil
- You preachin’ to the choir
- If you lay down with dogs, you’ll get up with fleas
- You’re a storytelling beatle bug
- He doesn’t have a pot to piss in or a window to throw it out of
- He’s so full of sh– his eyes are brown.
- In high cotton
- Don’t let your mouth write a check your a$$ can’t cash (I heard this one A LOT growing up)
- Don’t hate the player, hate the game
- Everything happens for a reason*
*denotes a few of my all-time favorites
What are some of your favorite quotes/sayings? Please share them in the comments section.